Monday, August 23, 2010

Monday's Most Wanted

{freaks.and.geeks}

Tyler and I just finished up the television series Freaks and Geeks. It is hilarious. The show aired in 1999. I didn't watch it then, because I was a nerdy 7th grader that was too busy watching 7th Heaven. Honestly, I don't think my parents would have let me watch Freaks and Geeks. Other moms must have felt the same way, because the show was canceled after only twelve episodes aired. I don't think America was ready for it. It's not like it should have been on HBO or anything, it just dealt with issues like sex and drugs, but in an absolutely hilarious way. The show centers around a brother and sister, Lindsay and SamWeir. The first (and only) season goes through the transitioning they do in high school: Lindsay, from a mathlete to a rebel and Sam, from a scrawny boy, to a scrawny boy that starts to like girls. Lindsay and her friends are the school "freaks" and Sam and his buddies are the school "geeks." The Weir parents play an integral part in each episode as they sweetly, and sometimes awkwardly, do their best to raise good kids.

If you have a good sense of humor and like shows like The Office or The Big Bang Theory, I think you will find this show funny. I've never seen it at Blockbuster or Family Video, but I know you can rent it disc by disc on Netflix. Or you might try finding some of the episodes online. 

Here's a little preview to get you started. This video is of Bill Haverchuck, one of Sam Weir's best friends, trying to get Sam and Neil (their other best friend) to learn dance. I'm going to have to try these moves out at the next dance I go to...

 


{tracy.morgan}

Oh my. I laughed just typing his name. If you don't know why he made "Monday's Most Wanted," than you have probably never watched 30 Rock. I realize that he is sometimes incredibly inappropriate, but what comedian isn't? If you can find the Marriage Ref show rerun that he was a judge in, that would be a good place to begin your love for Tracy.



{vegetable.steamer}

On a more wifely, homemaker, note, do you have a vegetable steamer? They are a lot of fun! I got mine at TJMaxx for $7.99, but I'm pretty sure you could get one at Target or Wal-Mart. The other day I steamed up some yellow summer squash and zucchini:


My steamer is silicone, but I believe there are metal one too. You simply fill a saucepan with a little bit of water (1/2 and inch) and boil the water. Then, you cut up your vegetables and place them in the steamer basket and drop the basket into the saucepan. See that little "T" in the middle of the squash? That is my steamer basket handled folded over so that I can put my saucepan lid on. Steamers are nice, because they don't boil all of the nutrients out of your veggies and they leave them nice and al dente (that is my Johnny Carino's waitressing shining through). I steamed the squash for about 7 or 8 minutes with the lid on. Then I put it in a bowl, sprinkled on some salt and pepper, added some cherry tomatoes (from the box garden) and, lastly, tossed the vegetables in some fresh basil leaves (also from the garden). The basil added some yummy flavor. I think we'll be having this dish a few more times before the summer is over:




{oh.how.he.loves.us}

.

We are His portion and He is our prize,
Drawn to redemption by the grace in His eyes,
If His grace is an ocean, we're all sinking.
And Heaven meets earth like an unforseen kiss,
And my heart turns violently inside of my chest,
I don't have time to maintain these regrets,
When I think about, the way,
He loves us, oh how he loves us.

- David Crowder Band

No comments: