Friday, June 17, 2011

Pregnancy & Public Restrooms

Since I have spent the past four months of my pregnancy going to the restroom on the hour, every hour, I decided it was time I share my vast knowledge of public restrooms with all of my bloggy friends. Mom, you should probably stop reading now, because Miss Manners would not approve of this post. But this is information that people need to know! It's only fair that everyone, pregnant or not, be fully informed as they cruise around town. So go ahead - print this off. Keep it in your car console or in the glove box.

Here's how the list works - each establishment will get a rating of one to five stars - one being the worst and five being the best.

Savoy Walmart 
* *
I love everything about Walmart in Savoy. The prices are rolled back further than County Market, the aisles are wide enough for two carts to easily glide by, and the cashiers consistently accept my tax exempt information when I'm purchasing supplies for work. I get my oil changed there, I get my hair cut there and I even got my nails done there once. When it comes to their woman's restroom, however, they have got some serious work to do. The first stall doesn't lock all the way, making it impossible to use, there is often no hand towels, and their toilets have automatic flushers that send the water spraying upwards and outwards after use, leaving the toilet seat constantly wet with water droplets. When that automatic flusher flushes, you'd better be ready for a speedy stall exit (or wear a poncho.)

TJ Maxx
I love this store when shopping for clothes, purses, shoes, home goods, etc. I can always find the best deals. Some people can find even better deals than me, because they shoplift in the bathroom! That's right. I'm pretty sure I witnessed a lady casually place some underwear in her over sized purse the last time I visited the bathroom at TJ's. She took it to the Maxx all right. So, one star for crime.

Barnes and Noble
* * * * *
B&N, hands down, has one of the cleanest restrooms in town. Let's say you're shopping at TJ Maxx and realize that you have to go (we've already gone over why you should never use their bathroom). Have no fear! Just head to the back right corner of Barnes and Noble. The stalls are spacious, there's always plenty of soap and hand towels, and the garbage is never overflowing. The only potential for disaster with this restroom is if you see someone carry a book in...gross!

Hobby Lobby
* *
Hobby Lobby's restroom reminds me of the girl's locker room at Pat Neff Middle School. The iridescent lights flicker on and off. It smells bad. There are buckets that catch dripping water underneath the sink. The subway tile is a gross pinkish peach tint. Sure there are stringed instruments playing "How Great Thou Art" over the PA system and they are closed on Sundays, but c'mon Mrs. Hob Lob, take some of those cute accessories you have all over your store and give that bathroom a makeover! 

Lowes
* * * * *
Have you ever been in Lowe's ladies room? Head straight the middle-right back of the store, in between the cabinetry and you will fine quite a lovely bathroom. That just confirms how much I love Lowe's. I enter through the garden center in the spring and summer months, to see what vegetation I could plant next. I love walking underneath all the cool light fixtures suspended from the ceiling to try and figure out which one would look best in my living room. I enjoy picking out the perfect shade of gray paint for our bedroom, although sometimes the gruff paint mixer guy tend to be a little too helpful (thankfully, that has stopped now that I'm a baby momma). I peruse the appliances, imagining myself opening a white energy star maytag french door refrigerator each morning to get a cold glass of orange juice...And after all that walking about, when I feel baby girl stretching and kicking, I can even enjoy their clean and lovely restrooms.

Jupiter's/Uncle Jack's
* * * *
These restaurants get the same score, because they share a bathroom. The staff at First Christian Church, Champaign frequents these two establishments, because they are the closest restaurants to our location in the middle of corn fields, so I feel like I've really been able to get thorough use our of their restroom. Not only does the owner make perfect pizza and delicious hash browns, but he keeps a squeaky clean restroom. There's even a fancy full length mirror for me to check out my growing belly!

Target 
* * * * *  
Target can do no wrong. Their bathroom smells like orange-pineapple sherbet. Not in an “ew, I’m never going to eat orange-pineapple sherbet again” way, but in a “delightful, refreshing, I can’t wait to spend money at my favorite store” way.

I could go on, but I think this list is pretty all inclusive of the most frequently visited places around town. Anyone else have any warnings or advice?

4 comments:

Marthe said...

Market Place Mall Food Court Bathrooms (Champaign)

*****

While I love going to the mall for shopping, one nice thing is that the bathrooms in the food court are amazing! If you have to go to the bathroom, head straight for the smell of Panda Express and the other yummy restaurants. You might even get a sample of something yummy when you make your way over to the bathroom! Bonus! The bathrooms in the food court area are HUGE! They have plenty of room for you to turn around, move around, and probably even do jumping jacks. You don't even have to straddle the toilet seat while shutting the door!! They are typically clean, too which is wonderful. The only downside is that they recently got rid of paper towels and are using hand dryers. Helpful for the Earth, yes, but my hands are never as dry as I would like them to be when I leave. Overall, I love that you can have tons of space to move around in the bathroom and not even go in the handicapped stall :) 5 stars for the mall food court bathrooms!

Kelli Travels said...

Margo...this is hilarious!!! You are a great writer! And knowing where clean public restrooms are is very important...pregnant or not! :)

Megan Philip said...

This is so true Margo! I loved it. I have to totally agree about Savoy Walmart, and ew ew ew Hobby Lobby's bathroom. Another one I thought of was Custard Cup - beware because there is NO bathroom! total fail on their part. Glad you and the little one are doing well and having such hilarious adventures!

Kristina Clemens said...

This was sooo funny! Took me right back to my three pregnancies! What a hoot and adventure being pregnant is! =)
Kristina J.