Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I Spy a Bird

I love birds. Real ones and decorative ones. I think my love for them began with my mom. She knows a lot about birds. She can hear the song they sing or look at the color of their bellies and identify them by their actual scientific bird name. It is pretty impressive. I identify them by saying, "oh, look at that cute little birdy bird."

I have birds all over my house.  Don't worry, they are not creepy gross taxidermy owls or anything. They're friendly birds. I'll even prove it by going on a bird hunt (a metaphorical one, of course).


This one is a two-fer:
Bird #1: I just got this iron bird attached to a iron thingy at Tuesday Morning. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the thingy yet..I'm thinking about buying some moss to put in it. Or maybe something white. I know that a candle would be the obvious thing, but I don't have one quite wide and tall enough. Any ideas? 

Bird #2: I spy something that you set a coca-cola on. You got it, a coaster! My parents and I went to this darling shop in Castroville, TX when I was home last August and while my mom and I had moved on to the antique shop next door, my dad secretly bought them for me. He's such a thoughtful person.


 
 These dainty little birdies were a hostess gift from my sister-in-law. They are from Anthropologie, so they are extra special (and extra cute)!


I like birds so much, that they greet my guests! Go ahead, wipe your feet, they won't mind.


 I thought this iron lattice with a bird on top was too cute to pass up. I got it at Prairie Gardens a while back. It keeps my geraniums in check.



This bird weighs a ton. He makes a good decoration for the top of my entryway buffet. He also makes a good door stop. Or burglar weapon. 


 
 These cutie-pa-tooties first caught my eye at my best friend Laura's house. She had them, so I just had to have them too! So we made a trip to Pier 1 and I bought this little pair. Aren't they just so plumply perfect?

You know you like birds when you spend 10 minutes taking pictures of them and then 10 minutes telling people in the world wide web about them. Do you have a "bird like" collection in your house?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, I do have a bird collection but only through marriage.

Megan Philip said...

Margo, i love your blog - your humor and your fun posts. I don't have a bird collection....it's a shame.

Margo Jean Stewart said...

Thanks, Megan! You will have to find something really neat to "collect" in Japan.

Margo Jean Stewart said...

Tyler, you have a book collection.

Anonymous said...

Margo.. I love birds too! Well, actually I like owls the best! I have a little bit of an owl collection going on right now. But I have a few birds, too! My favorite birds of yours are the ones that you and Laura bought! They are too cute! :)

.......joyce................................ said...

Your blog is another way to connect with you when I miss you so much. My love of birds came from my Granny from Arkansas who had several bird feeders in her back yard. She fed them bread crusts every morning and knew their songs, too. My favorite of your birds are the welcome mat and the Praire Gardens geranium bird cage