Thursday, August 26, 2010

"The Squirrel House"

When Tyler and I started the search for our house last June, we kept track of the different houses we viewed by remembering specific characteristics about each house. For example, there was "The Pee Stain House." What was the specific characteristic about that house you ask? Well, there were pee stains all over the carpet in the living room and in the loft upstairs, there was a toilet and sink in the corner of the room with no doors. Yikes. Then there was "The Expensive House." That was the house that I loved but, you guessed it, was too expensive. There was "The House the I Would Be Scared to Be Alone In.," "The House With No Dishwasher," "The House with Old Crappy Windows," and lastly, there was the "Squirrel House."

"The Squirrel House" was named so, because as we were touring the corner lot with our realtor, Molly Jones,  a couple squirrels came running across the side of the house. My thought was that they would jump onto the fence or run up a tree, but instead, they just ran right up close to us. I thought one of them might run up my leg. Now, I think little bushy tailed squirrels are cute, but not when they get that close. Eek! Molly thought that maybe we had a neighbor that fed them and that was why they were so friendly. I like friendly, but I do not like rabies.

During the house search, we kept coming back to "The Squirrel House." Not because of the squirrels, of course, but because of the new carpet and roof, the washer and dryer, the kitchen and the dreams Tyler and I had of what that house could become. So here we are, a year later, living in our first home - "The Squirrel House."

That brings me to today. When I wake up in the morning, the first thing I like to do after a shower is open all of the curtains to let the natural light it. Well today, as I opened the kitchen blinds, I saw a squirrel with one foot the chicken wire fence that protects (?) our garden and one foot on the tomato cage that houses a ton of ripening tomatoes. That's right, this squirrel was somehow straddling one square foot of my box garden and gnawing on some of my tomatoes. Grrr! So I run outside and holler at him to get away from my garden. After sufficiently putting the fear of Margo in them, I went back inside to start some laundry. Thursdays are Tyler and my day off and I usually run to Dunkin' Donuts and grab Ty and coffee and some munchkin donuts. I know, I am so sweet. So I head out the back door and as I'm opening the Volkswagen door, something catches my eye. It was a squirrel perched on our back fence WITH A TOMATO IN HIS HANDS. He was no further than six feet away from me. That little stinker! I spent months cultivating the ground, watering and pruning those tomato plants and instead of getting to savor my tomato with some olive oil and salt and enjoying it piece by piece, this little jerk is chowing down! It was like in a cartoon when one of the characters eats corn on the cob and it looks like a typewriter carriage rapidly sliding back and forth. There was tomato shrapnel flying everywhere. The worst part was that it seemed like he was looking right at me while scarfing my delicious tomato. I was just waiting for him to flip me off, mid bite, with his little squirrel hands. Ugh, the nerve of him! The picture I took with my camera phone is so poor, but it gives you an idea. The arrow I inserted will help you find him the chubby cheeked criminal. Do you see the red?




Cayenne Pepper is on my grocery list today. I sprinkled some around my garden at the beginning of summer and I think it's time for a second dose. That will teach 'em! What kind of critters do you battle at your house? And let me know of any tricks you have to keep them away.

No comments: