Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence Day

This weekend was perfect. We had a wonderful visit with Tyler's family. They left this afternoon after a full weekend of swimming at Sholem Aquatic Center, perusing the Urbana Farmer's Market, playing in our clubhouse and watering the garden with sweet Camryn Grace. Look at this sweet girl...


Tonight, after a much needed afternoon nap, we celebrated the 4th by going to the movie store and renting Independence Day. I have such a vivid memory of going to see this with my family when I was a kid. I remember, we went to the riverwalk and then to the IMAX to watch see it on the big screen. And...to my brothers shame...I fell asleep. You might be thinking, "how does a 10 year old kid manage to fall asleep during the coolest movie of 1996, projected on a 60x80 ft. screen, with a 15,000 watt digital sound system?" Well, I was running a fever. I think the fever started mid enchilada at dinner time. I also ruined Jurassic Park for the family. I cried during the first dinosaur scene - you know, the one where the cup of water trembles, because the giant tyrannosaurus rex is getting ready to eat a man off of a toilet. It was a very traumatic time for me. In my defense, I was only 7. What were my mom and dad thinking?


Anyways, back to tonight, before we went home to watch ID4 (oh yeah, I said it), we went to America's Favorite Drive-In for some a chocolate sundae and a cherry limeade. We drove to the THIS IS IT parking lot to get a prime spot to view the Parkland College fireworks. We were just far enough away to enjoy the show without all of the crowds, blasts and firework debris. Even better, there was no traffic. Sonic tastes much better when you're watching pretty things blow up in the sky. Especially if your favorite boy is by your side.

Fantastic fourth.

Oh, and check out Greg Boyd's thoughts on patriotism in the church in Relevant Magazine and QIdeas.orgIt's good stuff.

No comments: